The following is a guide to upgrade the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate from 2.1(Eclair) or 2.2 (Froyo) to Latest Android GingerBread 2.3.5 stock rom. It's the easiest method I've ever found and requires no expect knowledge on android development etc. It's also the safest method i've seen because everything is automated and does not require any manual tweaking.
- Make sure you have the samsung usb drivers and you can connect your samsung captivate to windows PC without a problem.
- Factory reset the phone.
- Remove sim card and external SD card from the phone.
- Download the GingerBread 2.3.5 stock rom one click from here. Start the program (Run as administrator if you are on windows 7)
- Enter the download mode for the Samsung Captivate ( Press and hold both volume up/down button and insert usb cable into phone)
- Wait for the program to recognize your device. It will indicate with com port it's connected.
- Click start.
- Once the phone reboots with AT&T screen, congratulations! You are now on latest Android GingerBread.
Leave a comment if it works for you!