This is a simple step by step guide to hard reset Samsung Galaxy S smartphone including T-Mobile Vibrant, AT&T captivate etc.
- Power on the phone.
- Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Factory data reset
- Confirm Reset phone
If your phone is stuck and unable to get to the settings page. Try the following:
- Power off the phone
- Hold volume down button and the power button.
- Release the power button once the phone boots up
- After a few seconds you should see a menu. Release the volume button
- Choose "clear storage" or "delete all user data" with Volume down button to change your selection and power button to select.
- Now reboot the phone and it should be restored to factory fresh state.