Starting April 8th, AT&T started to unlock iphones for accounts in good standing. That is, iPhones that are either not currently in contract or bought out of contract. All you need to do is to call AT&T and provide the imei number of the phone. An email will be sent to you once it's unlocked.
Here are the steps:
- Find out the imei number of the phone (Settings -> General -> About)
- Call AT&T customer service line (611 or 800-331-0500), Start an online chat with AT&T customer service rep or email AT&T customer service directly.
- AT&T rep will obtain phone's imei from you and ask for your email address.
- You will receive an email once phone's unlocked. It typically takes couple days to a week.
- Once you receive the unlock email from AT&T, connect the phone to itunes and restore it with latest firmware. Once the restore is complete, itunes will show a message indicating the phone is offically unlocked.
- Reports have shown that you do not need to have an AT&T account in order request unlock from AT&T. You can even call from overseas.
- All iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G can be unlocked this way. However, we have not seen AT&T unlock any iPhone 4S as of yet.
- Any user can unlock up to 5 iphones per account.
Are you able to unlock your iPhone 4? Please leave a comment on your AT&T iPhone unlock experience.